Healthy Foods for Snacking While you are Quitting Smoking
Often when people quit smoking they find their taste buds come back, food will taste like you had forgotten it once tasted and so you’ll start to enjoy food in a new way. During this time, food can help you:
- Feel full, which can help reduce urges to smoke.
- Replace the need for having a cigarette in your mouth by having something to chew and hold in your mouth.
- Satisfy cravings with different flavors that are also healthy instead of having a cigarette.
Some people also however start to experience more food cravings and choosing healthy snacks during this time period can stop unwanted weight gain during an already stressful time period. So here are some healthy snack food ideas to get you through. Make sure you have them available and remove unhealthy ones from your house so you always have something to grab that will improve your health. Add them to your shopping list and stock up every week.
- Easy to grab Fruit such as apple, banana, peach, or grapes
- Greek Yogurt -try a small tub of greek yogurt with some fruit or honey or just plain. Try and stay away from a flavored option generally full of added sugar or artificial sweeteners.
- Nuts and seeds such as peanuts, almonds or pumpkin seeds- Try to stick to a handful as they are high in calories however studies have shown that a limited portion of nuts each day actually assisted weight loss.
- Peanut or Almond Nut Butter on Celery, Apple or Rice-cake – nut butters taste great and are a great high protein snack option.
- Homemade Protein Bars – My favorite, homemade protein bars taste awesome but are full of real wholefoods that give you energy and protein that keeps you full all day. Check out some awesome protein bar recipes to get started making your own.
- Make a whole bunch and freeze them so they are available when that craving strikes
- Dates – I love dates for satisfying the sugar cravings without throwing off your whole day.
- A smoothie or protein shake is a great idea to keep you full and add heaps of super nutrients into your diet.